How Do I Get My Driving License In NSW?
In NSW, you need to complete three licensing stages before obtaining a full unrestricted license.
- Get your learner license
- Transition to the provisional license 1, (P1, red)
- Transition to the provisional license 2, (P2, green), and
- finally get your full license
If you are less than 25 years old, you will need at least 36 months to go through the four steps.
Below is a summary of the key requirements for each stage, including the online and practical tests that need to be passed, as well as the minimum time requirement to jump from one stage to another and any age requirement. In NSW, all the tests are sanctioned by Roads and Maritime Services.
To get your learner license, you must:
- Be at least 16 years old,
- Pass an eyesight test, and
- Successfully pass the Driver Knowledge Test (DKT) with RMS.
- Pay the license and test fees. More info on the fees here.
Provisional P1 License (Red P)
To transition from the Learner to Provisional P1, you must:
- Be more than 17 years old,
- Successfully pass the Hazard Perception Test (HPT) after 10 months of holding your Learner license (L),
- Have held a Learner license (L) for at least 12 months, (not required if you are over 25 years old)
- Have completed 120 hours in your learner driver log book that can be either a paper log book or a mobile app, (not required if you are over 25 years old)
- Pass an eyesight test,
- Pay the license and test fees (more info on the fees here), and
- Successfully pass the practical driving test with RMS.
Provisional P2 License (Green P)
To transition from Provisional P1 to Provisional P2, you must:
- Have held a Provisional P1 license for more than 12 months.
- Pay the license and test fees (more info on the fees here), and,
- If you had your P1 license suspended for a period of time, it will not be counted toward the P2. As such, you will need to wait a total of 12 months plus the time your license was suspended. You only have 4 points on your P1.
Unrestricted Full License
Finally, to progress toward the full license, you must:
- Have held a Provisional P2 license for at least 24 months.
- Any period your P2 license is suspended will not count towards your full license. As such you will need to wait 24 months plus an additional 6 months for every time their license got suspended for unsafe driving behaviour.